This Merit Badge
is Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
- Satisfy your counselor that you have current knowledge of all first aid requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks.
- Explain how you would obtain emergency medical assistance from:
- Your home
- A remote location on a wilderness camping trip
- An activity on open water
- Define the term triage. Explain the steps necessary to assess and handle a medical emergency until help arrives.
- Explain the universal precautions as applied to the transmission of infections. Discuss the ways you should protect yourself and the victim while administering first aid.
- Prepare a first-aid kit for your home. Display and discuss its contents with your counselor.
- Describe the early signs and symptoms of each of the following and
explain what actions you should take:
- Heart attack
- Do the following:
- Describe the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Then demonstrate proper CPR technique using a training device approved by your counselor.
- Explain the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED). Identify the location of the AED at your school, place of worship, and troop meeting place, if one is present.
- Show the steps that need to be taken for someone suffering from a severe cut on the leg and on the wrist. Tell the dangers in the use of a tourniquet and the conditions under which its use is justified.
- Explain when a bee sting could be life threatening and what action should be taken for prevention and for first aid.
- Describe the signs and symptoms and demonstrate the proper procedures
for handling and immobilizing suspected closed and open fractures or
dislocations of the
- Upper leg
- Lower leg
- Describe the signs, symptoms, and possible complications and demonstrate care for someone with a suspected injury to the head, neck, or back.
- Describe the symptoms, proper first-aid procedures, and possible
prevention measures for the following conditions:
- Anaphylaxis/allergic reactions
- Sprains or strains
- Burns—first, second, and third degree
- Muscle cramps
- Heat exhaustion
- Heat stroke
- Abdominal pain
- Broken, chipped, or loosened tooth
- Do the following:
- Describe the conditions under which an injured person should be moved.
- If a sick or an injured person must be moved, tell how you would determine the best method. Demonstrate this method.
- With helpers under your supervision, improvise a stretcher and move a presumably unconscious person.
- Teach another Scout a first-aid skill selected by your counselor.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 2018
Pamphlet Publication Number: 35897
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 620609
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2015
Page updated on: December 24, 2017