- Discuss with your counselor the influence that EIGHT of the following
people or events had on the history of medicine:
- William Harvey
- Antoine van Leeuwenhoek
- Edward Jenner
- Florence Nightingale
- Louis Pasteur
- Gregor Mendel
- Joseph Lister
- Robert Koch
- Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen
- Marie and Pierre Curie
- Walter Reed
- Karl Landsteiner
- Alexander Fleming
- Jonas Salk
- James Watson and Francis Crick
- Explain the Hippocratic Oath to your counselor, and compare to the original version to a more modern one. Discuss to whom those subscribing to the original version of the oath owe the greatest allegiance.
- Discuss the health-care provider-patient relationship with your counselor, and the importance of such a relationship in the delivery of quality care to the patient. Describe the role of confidentiality in this relationship.
- Do the following:
- Describe the roles the following people play in the delivery
of health care in your state. (Note: Not all may exist in your state.)
- Physician's assistant
- Nurse practitioner
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed vocational/practical nurse
- Medical assistant
- Emergency medical technician
- Medical laboratory technologist
- Radiologic technologist
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Respiratory therapist
- Describe the educational and licensing requirements for five of those in 4a --other than 4a(1)- - practicing health care in your state.
- Describe the roles the following people play in the delivery of health care in your state. (Note: Not all may exist in your state.)
- Tell what is meant by the term "primary care" with regard to
a medical specialty. Briefly describe the types of work done by
physicians in the following "core" specialties:
- Internal medicine*
- Family practice*
- Describe the additional educational requirements for these specialties.
- Tell what is meant by the term "primary care" with regard to a medical specialty. Briefly describe the types of work done by physicians in the following "core" specialties:
- Briefly describe the types of work performed by physicians in
FIVE of the following specialties or subspecialties:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology and metabolism
- Geriatric medicine
- Infectious disease
- Neurological surgery
- Nuclear medicine
- Orthopedic surgery
- Otolaryngology/head and neck surgery
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Plastic, reconstructive, and maxillofacial surgery.
- Preventive medicine
- Thoracic/cardiothoracic surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Describe the additional educational requirements for the five specialties or subspecialties you chose in 6a.
- Briefly describe the types of work performed by physicians in FIVE of the following specialties or subspecialties:
- Visit a physician's office,** preferably one who delivers "primary care." (This may be that of your counselor.) Discuss the components of a medical history and physical examination (an official BSA health form may be used to guide this discussion), and become familiar with the instruments used.
- Describe the characteristics of a good diagnostic test to screen for disease (e.g. routine blood pressure measurement). Explain briefly why diagnostic tests are not perfect.
- Show how to take a blood pressure reading and a pulse reading.
- Do the following:
- Discuss the roles medical societies, employers, the insurance industry, and the government play in influencing the practice of medicine in the United States.
- Briefly tell how your state monitors the quality of health care within its borders, and how it provides care to those who do not have health insurance.
- Compare and discuss with your counselor the health care delivery systems in the United States, Sweden, and China.
- Serve as a volunteer at a health-related event or facility in your community (e.g. blood drive, "health fair", blood pressure screening, etc.) approved by your counselor.
* "Primary care" specialties
** If this cannot be arranged, demonstrate to your counselor that you understand the components of a medical history and physical, and discuss the instruments involved.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 2005
Pamphlet Publication Number: 35917
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 35917
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2002
Page updated on: May 08, 2022