|Earned before 4/1/99
||Earned after 4/1/99
Until April 1, 1999, this Merit Badge
was Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
These were the REQUIREMENTS before the REVISIONS
made when a new pamphlet was issued in late 2006
To see the current requirements
REQUIREMENTS had previously been revised on 01/01/98
- Prepare a safety notebook to include:
- Newspaper and other stories showing common kinds and
causes of accidents in the home.
- Newspapers and other stories showing common kinds of
crimes against families like yours.
- Facts you have obtained concerning the frequency of
accidents and crimes involving families in your locality.
- A paragraph or more written by you explaining how your
family life could be changed by serious fire, accident,
- A list of safe practices and safety devices currently
used in your home and automobile.
- Do the following:
- Using a safety checklist approved by your counselor,
make an inspection of your home. Explain the hazards found
and how they can be corrected.
- Review or develop your family's plan of escape in case
of fire in your family's home.
- Do the following:
- Discuss with your counselor how you contribute to the
safety of yourself, your family, and your community.
- Show your family members how to protect themselves and
your home from accidents, fire, theft, robbery, and assault.
- Show your family exits you would use from different public
buildings (such as church, theater, municipal building, library,
supermarket, shopping center) in the event of an emergency.
Teach your family what do in the event of a panic.
- Make a plan for accident prevention programs for five family
activities outside the home (at church, at a theater, on a picnic,
at a beach, and while traveling). Each plan should include an
analysis of possible hazards, proposed action to correct hazards,
and reasons for the corrections you propose.
- Plan and complete a safety project approved by your counselor
in your home, school, church, or community.
BSA Advancement ID#: 12
Pamphlet Revision Date: 1997
Requirements last revised in 1998