Either this Merit Badge
or Swimming MB or Cycling MB
is Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
- Do the following:
- Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards you may encounter while hiking, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while hiking, including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, frostbite, dehydration, sunburn, sprained ankle, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, blisters, hyperventilation, and altitude sickness.
- Explain and, where possible, show the points of good hiking practices. including the principles of Leave No Trace, hiking safety in the daytime and at night, courtesy to others, choice of footwear, and proper care of feet and footwear.
- Explain how hiking is an aerobic activity. Develop a plan for conditioning yourself for 10-mile hikes, and describe how you will increase your fitness for longer hikes.
- Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike, including map routes, a clothing and equipment list, and a list of items for a trail lunch.
- Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles. Prepare a hike plan for each hike.*
- Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared.*
- After each of the hikes (or during each hike if on one continuous "trek") in requirements 5 and 6, write a short report of your experience. Give dates and descriptions of routes covered, the weather, and interesting things you saw. Share this report with your merit badge counselor.
*The hikes in requirements 5 and 6 can be used in fulfilling Second Class (2a) and First Class (3) rank requirements, but only if Hiking merit badge requirements 1, 2, 3, and 4 have been completed to the satisfaction of your counselor. The hikes of requirements 5 and 6 cannot be used to fulfill requirements of other merit badges. (Editor's note: The restriction in the first sentence of this note applies to any hikes taken as a troop/patrol activity. The reference to Second Class requirement 2a should be to requirement 3a, The note was not changed when the Second Class requirements were revised/renumbered in 2010.)
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 2012
Pamphlet Publication Number: 33407D or 35907
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 35907
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2007
Page updated on: May 22, 2013