February Cub Scout Roundtable Issue
Volume 14, Issue 7
March 2008 Theme
Litter to Glitter
Engineer & Athlete
Tiger Cub Activities
Note on Word Searches, Word Games, Mazes and such – In order to make these items fit in the two column format of Baloo’s Bugle they are shrunk to a width of about 3 inches. Your Cubs probably need bigger pictures. You can get these by copying and pasting the picture from the Word version or clipping the picture in the Adobe (.pdf) version and then enlarging to page width. CD
Paper Bag Kite
Capital Area Council
- For this kite, use a brown paper grocery bag with rectangular bottom.
- Cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the bottom.
- Cut an oval shape in the center of the cardboard.
- Using the cardboard as a pattern, cut a matching hole in the bottom of the bag.
- Punch a hole in each corner of the cardboard piece.
- Attach a long piece of string to each corner,
- Glue cardboard to bottom of bag, matching the oval openings.
- Take all free ends of the string and tie them together, so that all lengths are even. Tie them to the actual kite string, which is already wound around a piece of wood or other kite string holder. Decorate as desired. Have fun kite flying!
Jigsaw Puzzle Ads
Capital Area Council
- Tear out a full page color picture from a magazine.
- Paste the picture to a thin sheet of cardboard (or poster stock)
- Cut up the picture into puzzle pieces.
- Have at least one puzzle per scout.
- As each scout arrives, hand him one to put together.
- If time permits, let the scouts exchange puzzles.
San Joaquin (CA) Solid Waste Authority
Find the following words in the word search. Words may be vertical, horizontal, or diagonal.
ALUMINUM RECYCLE WORMS
REUSE CLOSE THE LOOP SCRAP METAL
GLASS PAPER CONCRETE
RECYCLING CENTER TIRES
MOTOR OIL COMPOST PLASTIC
REDUCE DOUBLE-SIDED GRASSCYCLE
WOOD REFUND VALUE FUN
There are lots of recycling word searches out on the web. Just Google "recycling word search" I chose this one because it was put up by a government group. CD
The crossword and maze below are just two activities from a tremendous 26 page booklet you can download at www.energyquest.ca.gov/saving_energy/RECYCLINGFactsGamesCrafts02.PDF -
Find your way through the maze on the last page and collect the glass containers. These items are all made from recycled glass. Which of these items can you take to the recycling center and redeem for money?? What other ways can you reuse your glass containers??
Recycling helps us preserve our environment and keeps garbage out of our landfills. There are also a lot of other reasons to recycle. Complete the crossword to find out why we should recycle.
1. Recycling saves natural __________
4. Recycling instead of littering, protects ___________
6. never wears out, it can be recycled forever.
8. Recycling helps keep fewer materials from going to the _______. Many are already full which means we need to find new places to put garbage.
9. You can earn ________by turning in your beverage containers at the recycling center.
11. Recycling lets us reuse ________ instead of having to get more from the Earth all over again.
12. It takes 20 times more energy to make an _________ can from new materials than from recycled materials.
2. Reccycling creates less _______ in the air
3. If we create less garbage. Our communities can _______ landfill space
5. Taking things that would be ________ and reusing them is a great way to help save the Earth.
7. It takes less ________ to make a new product from recycled materials than it does from raw materials.
10. ________ must recycle in order to make the world a better place.
Use these words
aluminum money garbage
energy landfill animals
resources materials everyone
pollution save glass
Materials found in Baloo's Bugle may be used by Scouters for Scouting activities provided that Baloo's Bugle and the original contributors are cited as the source of the material.