Study the Scouts BSA handbook and the Camping merit badge pamphlet, and demonstrate to your Scoutmaster or other qualified person the following:
- Explain the most likely hazards you may encounter while using woods tools listed in requirement 5 and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, manage, and respond to these hazards.
- Show that you know first aid for Injuries that could occur while using woods tools.
- Earn the Totin' Chip.
- Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin' Chip, and demonstrate to them the value of proper woods-tools use .
- Be familiar with the proper and safe use, maintenance, and storage
of woods tools including:
- Pick axe
- Demonstrate proper use of four of the tools listed in requirement 5.
- With unit leader approval and supervision, using woods tools, spend
at least two hours doing one of the following conservation oriented
- Clear trails or fire lanes for two hours.
- Trim a downed tree, cut into four-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush pile with branches.
- Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.
In addition to the Patch shown at the top of this page, a Pocket Certificate (wallet card) (No. 34395) is available.
Shown here is an image of the wallet card which may be available. The requirements were rewritten in 2019, and the name of the award was changed in 2020. However, since the card uses the former name, "Paul Bunyan Woodsman", and lists outdated requirements for the award, there may be a new version available.
Source: Boy Scout Requirements 2020