Campout and Camporee Programs
Camporee Theme Ideas
- Bear Essentials
- Character Campout: Character
Campout Guide | Character Campout
Writeup - Contributed by Roger Claff, Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 1570,
- Chills & Thrills
- Eco-Challenge: Such a camporee might include a Compass Game, Orienteering
Hike, Fly Fishing, Wall Challenge, Tires Challenge, Swinging Log Challenge,
Search & Rescue Exercise, Scout Scrabble, and Campsite Inspection. (From: Scouts-L
- Camporee Chairman Cliff Golden c60clg1@CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
- Feast of the Hunter's Moon: This commemorates the tradion of trappers
and Native Americans to get together and trade wares at the end of the trapping
season during the "Hunter's Moon" in the fall (usually October). Traders, Voyageurs,
Trappers, Native Americans, and Settlers in authentic costume can enhance the
experience with a focus on skills for survival from the 1700s.
- Girl Scout Campore: Example at
- Midnight Madness Orienteering: Could include a compass course using
light sticks as markers for the scouts, blind-patrol challenge (navigating obstacles
without losing contact with other in a controlled area), astronomy, and ghost
- Mission Impossible: Better than an explaination - visit Cliff Golden's
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9857/links.htm#camporee to see this one.
- Mountaineering: Well dress up in buckskins and bring in the black
powder demonstration reenactors. This a great time to try out wilderness skills
and have a good time with old fashioned cooking. Could feature the new climbing
merit badge, backpacking skills, and cooking.
- Orienteering Rangers
- Railroading Learn more about this idea at
or download a summary
and railoree plan.
- Scout Olympics
- Service to Seniors: Camp at or near a nursing home and share food
with residents along with songs, stories, and service projects.
- Spirit of George Washington
Read about the annual
camporee conducted by the National Capital Area Council on the grounds of Mount
- Star Wars Rendevous on the Ice Planet Hoth Let your Scouts use their
imagination to help plan this one. Great opportunity for a districtwide PLC
night of pizza, movies (Star Wars of course), and planning with your district
- Undergound Railroad During the years before the Civil War there was
an organized network of people who helped fugative slaves escape from the South
with safe-houses and secret routes to avoid capture. This network became known
as the underground railroad and helped many hundreds of slaves to make their
way to freedom. With a little imagination this could be used with stalking,
tracking, and other hiking/camping skills to reenact some of the activities
used to foil bounty hunters. The subject matter may be very sensitive and needs
to be addressed in a manner that celebrates freedom and those who sought freedom.
This may also be a great opportunity for culteral awareness and work towards
American Heritage and American Cultures merit badges.
- More Ideas? Steve Tobin's The Netwoods Virtual Campsite has
some great planning ideas at
Other Camporee Ideas
- Camp-Breaking Contest: Have a contest judged by all SPLs in camp
on which Troop does the best job of breaking camp. Factors could include "Leave
No Trace" principles, organization, time, and so forth.
If you have a camporee idea or documentation related to a successful camporee,
please let us know so that we can share your successes with other Scouters.
Unfortunately, some of the wonderful resources described above are no longer
available, primarily because the author of the publication or resource did not
send us a copy or their website no longer exists. If you find a link in the list
above that no longer works, please let us know that information, too.
Please send an e-mail to the webmaster. Thanks.