The Official BSA Firem'n Chit is the Wallet Card
and/or Patch shown above.
The Firem'n Chit Patch is considered a "Temporary Patch" and,
should be worn CENTERED on the RIGHT Pocket of the Boy Scout Uniform Shirt.
It should NOT be sewn on a pocket flap
The current wallet card includes the following statement:
This is to certify that _______________ can carry fire-starting materials
and build a campfire.
He has read the lire use and safety section in the Boy Scout Handbook. He knows that starting and building fires means being responsible, and he accepts that responsibility. In consideration of the above, he is hereby granted "Firem'n Rights."
The current requirements read as follows:
This certification grants a Scout the right to carry fire-lighting devices (matches, lighters, etc.) and build campfires. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
The Scout's "Firem'n Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.
The current version of the wallet card (No. 34236) is available as either a sheet of 8 cards (SKU#634160) or as individual cards (SKU#634161). Older versions of the Firem'n Chit card including the versions shown above and/or below, contain slightly different wording on the front of the card and in the requirements on the reverse side, in various versions from the current requirements.
Sources: www.scouting.org/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/firem.aspx and Scoutshop.org