These requirements were revised effective on January 1, 2000.
To see the changes which were made in 2000, Click here.
To see the current requirements, Click here.
- Be active in your troop and patrol for at least 6 months as a Life Scout.
- Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.
- Earn a total of 21 merit badges (10 more than you already have), including the following:
- While a Life Scout, serve actively for a period of 6 months in one
or more of the following positions of responsibility:
Boy Scout troop.
- Patrol leader,
- assistant senior patrol leader,
- senior patrol leader,
- troop guide,
- Order of the Arrow troop representative,
- den chief,
- junior assistant Scoutmaster,
- chaplain aide, or
Varsity Scout team.
- program manager,
- squad leader,
- team secretary,
- Order of the Arrow team representative,
- chaplain aide,
- den chief.
*Although included in the list of eligible positions for Star and Life, Team Historian is NOT included in the list for Eagle in the 2008 edition of Boy Scout Requirements, and is NOT listed on the current Eagle Scout Application. Although we believe this is an error, we recommend you check with your local council to find out if the position can be counted.
Venturing crew / Sea Scout ship.
- vice president,
- boatswain's mate,
- purser, or
- While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. (The project should benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) The project idea must be approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your Scoutmaster and troop committee and the council or district before you start. You must use the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook, BSA publication No. 18-927D, in meeting this requirement.
- Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.
- Successfully complete an Eagle Scout board of review.
* You must choose only one merit badge listed in items (g) and (j). If you have earned more than one of the badges listed in items (g) and (j), choose one and list the remaining badges to make your total of 21.
Note: All requirements must be completed before a candidate's 18th birthday. The Eagle Scout board of review can be held after the candidate's 18th birthday. For more information, see Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, publication No. 33088. Also see the note below.
If you have a permanent physical or mental disability, you may become an Eagle Scout by qualifying for as many required merit badges as you can and qualifying for alternative merit badges for the rest. If you seek to become an Eagle Scout under this procedure, you must submit a special application to your local council service center. Your application must be approved by your council advancement committee before you can work on alternative merit badges.
The Alternate requirements are also listed in more detail under Eagle Scout Rank - Alternate Requirements on page 18 of the 2003 Boy Scout Requirements book. (No. 33215F).
The Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project
is now available for download from the NESA website in both PDF and RTF
which can be used by Scouts in lieu of the printed form.
here to go to the NESA web site.
Mike Walton has created a PowerPoint Presentation that contains a set of worksheets that you can use to gather all of the information you will need to fill out your Application for Eagle Scout Rank Award. To download it, Click Here.
Rick Cordray has developed a set of Microsoft Word documents that can be used to enter the data onto an Eagle Scout Rank Application (#55-728 - 1999 printing) using your computer printer. To use them, download each of these files:
BSA has a PDF version of the Eagle Scout Rank Application (No 58-728) on their site. It can be used as the form submitted to BSA for an Eagle Scout candidate. You may also try using that document to work with the templates Rick has provided.
To view the pdf file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have the free Acrobat Reader, click on the icon below to obtain it, so you can view and print the forms.