Ten Steps to a Successful Pinewood Derby
STEP 2: Provide Space
- Provide adequate indoor facility space for equipment, participants,
and spectators. Most school gyms and lunch rooms are adequate.
The larger the pack, the greater the space needed. Churches and
Legion Halls are also used.
- The length required to accommodate chart, starting end space,
4 sections of track, stopping section, and finishing end space
is approximately 45 feet long.
- Clean up afterwards -- and remember, GRAPHITE IS DIRTY!!
- Prime equipment required:
- The number of lanes are 2 to 8 (and up). Length of tracks
vary. The Pack can build, rent, or borrow a track to suit. The
track must have a releasing mechanism at the starting end, and
some sort of finish line or electronic scoring system at the finishing
end. You may need to make special arrangements for stopping the
cars at the end of the track.
- Microphone system
- Required to run the races and be heard
- Needed to control race (either on a clipboard or on a big
- (one each for)
- Registration and final weigh-in
- Awards (preview for all the spectators)
- Chart Support
- Holding Table for next Den to race
- Display Table to hold all cars
- Pit Stop Table with tools and repair parts
- Graphite Table, with pie plates and newspaper
- Trash can or bag, brooms, etc, for clean up.