Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for a ski activity.
- Be able to explain safety and courtesy codes for a downhill or cross-country ski trip.
- Go skiing. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Earn the Skiing belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Explain the different kinds of ski lifts and how they work. Use one.
- Describe the four universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- Demonstrate how to snowplow (wedge position), hold your position, and get up from a fall.
- Demonstrate how to do a basic christie.
- Demonstrate five cross-country skills, such as a kick turn, the diagonal stride, double poling, sidestepping, the step turn, the herringbone, straight downhill running, the snowplow, sideslipping, dragging the pole, the diagonal stride uphill, and a traverse.
- Participate in at least three games using skis, such as relays, races, treasure hunts, and skiing around poles or flags.
- Explain what to do if you see a skiing accident.
- Take skiing lessons.
- Watch a film on skiing.
- Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does at the ski slope.
|Worksheets for use in working on these requirements:||DOC File||PDF File|