Scouting Through History


Scouting History The Ship at Miakonda by Dave Eby

This was actually a house in the shape of a ship. It was built on a concrete foundation in 1934 by the WPA on one of the three islands in the ten acre lake. But you could learn how to sail on it. It had living quarters in it. It was about 100 feet long. The lake was hand dug in 1934-36. 1000 workers dug a ten acre hole about eight feet deep with shovels and wheelbarrows. They dug and moved an estimated 1.1 million wheelbarrows of dirt. It was the largest WPA project done at Miakonda and there were many projects completed there by the WPA including the tree house campsite.

 

Written by

David L. Eby

Council Historian

Miakonda Scouting Museum

Erie Shores Council, BSA

Toledo, Ohio

 

 


Scouts Using the Internet Cartoon - Courtesy of Richard Diesslin - Click to See More Cartoons
© 1994-2014 - U.S. Scouting Service Project | Site Map | Disclaimer | Project Team | Web Stats | Contact Us | Privacy Policy
USSSP is Proud to be Hosted by Latisys.com and Lunarpages.com.

Materials found at U. S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. Websites may be reproduced and used locally by Scouting volunteers for training purposes consistent with the programs of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) [Links to BSA Sites], the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) or other Scouting and Guiding Organizations. No material found here may be used or reproduced for electronic redistribution or for commercial or other non-Scouting purposes without the express permission of the U. S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. (USSSP) or other copyright holders. USSSP is not affiliated with BSA or WOSM and does not speak on behalf of BSA or WOSM. Opinions expressed on these web pages are those of the web authors. You can support this website with in two ways: Visit Our Trading Post at www.ScoutingBooks.com or make a donation by clicking the button below.
(U.S. Scouting Service Project Donation)


(Ruth Lyons Memorial Donations)