Dutch Oven Cooking Tips by Wayne Johnson
DUTCH OVEN COOKING TIPS
DUTCH OVEN WITHOUT LEGS?
- 10X2 INCH ROUND CAKE PAN OR TRAIL CHEF COOK KIT LARGE FRY PAN JUST FIT
INTO 12 INCH DUTCH OVEN.
- LINE PAN WITH WAX PAPER SO FOOD WILL NOT STICK, PAPER BURNS AT 750 DEGREES
SO IT WILL NOT BURN INSIDE OVEN.
- 4, 1/4INCH NUTS PLACED IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DUTCH OVEN WILL RAISE THE PAN
OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE OVEN, WHICH WILL GIVE INDIRECT HEAT ALL AROUND THE PAN
SO FOOD WILL NOT BURN.
- IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE PAN AND A PEAR OF PLIERS, YOU CAN USE ONE OVEN
AND COOK MANY ITEMS BACK TO BACK. THUS YOU SAVE ON CHARCOAL AND OR HEAT.
- WITH THIS METHOD, TEMPERATURE IS NOT AS CRITICAL AS THE FOOD WILL NOT
TOUCH THE SIDES OR BOTTOM OF THE OVEN.
It seems that
one of my students in Scoutmaster Ship Fundamentals, (OSLI) has taught this old
cooker a new trick.
If you have a
Dutch Oven without any legs, get the ring to a Wok.
Put the ring
level on the ground, put coals in side and set Dutch Oven on the ring.
The small end on
the ground allows more heat to the bottom surface of the Dutch Oven.
This will also
work for those of you that have the rounded cover.
The ring will
stay on top and keep the coals in place even when taking the cover off to check
The ring fits
inside the Dutch Oven when not in use.