Webelos Scout Activity Badges
As revised in the 1998 edition of the
Webelos Scout Book.
(Revisions to requirements are shown in bold
Deletions are shown struck through in
red italics, like this text.
To see the current requirements with no
highlighting of the changes,
- Explain how to safely handle the tools that you will use
for this activity badge.
Using hand tools, make two objects to
use in the home.
- With adult supervision and using hand tools, construct
two different wooden objects you and your Webelos den leader agree on,
Cut out four different
things from wood, such as the items listed below.
Use a coping saw or jigsaw for at
least two of these projects. Put them together with
glue, nails, or screws. Paint ,
and paint or stain them.
||Garden tool rack
||Letter, Bill. and Pencil holder
||Measuring cup rack
|Kitchen knife rack
||Measuring spoon rack
|Kitchen utensil rack
|Or do any similar projects that you
and your Webelos den leader agree upon.
3. Explain how to safely handle the tools that will be used for this
And Do One of These:
4. Make four useful things of
leather. Design these yourself. Include cutting, tooling, and lacing.
5. Make four useful things of
plastic. Include cutting, gluing, and finishing.
6. Make a
display stand, frame,
or box to be used to display
for a photo, a
model or an award. Or make a frame for a photo or painting.
Use suitable material.
you or someone else has received. Use wood or other suitable material.
7. Make four items of clay to be fired (baked), decorated, and glazed.
8. Make four
useful items of some other material
using materials other than wood that you and
your Webelos den leader agree on
upon, such as
clay, plastic, leather, metal,
rubber, or rope. These should be challenging items and must involve
Do Five of These:
- List 10 different things engineers do.
- Visit a construction job. Look at a set of plans. Tell your Webelos
den leader about these. (Get permission before you visit.)
- Visit a civil engineer to understand how to measure
length of a property line. Explain how property lines are determined.
- Tell about
Make a drawing of how electricity
is generated and then gets to your home.
- Construct a simple working electrical circuit using a
flashlight battery, a switch, and a light.
drawings of three kinds of bridges and explain their
them. Construct a model bridge of your
and show how a
block and tackle and show how it works.
and show how a
catapult and show how it works.
8. Draw a
floor plan of your house. Include doors, windows, and stairways.
- Explain how engineers use computers.
Do Six of These:
adult supervision, wash a car.
- Help an adult change a tire on a car.
- With adult supervision, replace
Replace a bulb in
the taillight, turn signal, or parking light or
replace a headlight on a car.
- With adult supervision, show
Show how to check
the oil level and tire pressure on a car.
- Make a repair to a bicycle, such as tightening the chain, fixing a
flat tire, or adjusting the seat
- Properly lubricate the chain and crank on a bicycle.
- Properly inflate the tires on a bicycle.
- Replace a light bulb in a fixture or lamp.
- With adult supervision, arrange
Arrange a storage
area for household cleaners and other dangerous
that will be safe from small children
cannot get them.
- Build a sawhorse or stool to be used around your home.
- Help take care of the lawn.
Mow a lawn and properly rake and
dispose of the grass clippings.
- Arrange a storage area for hand tools or lawn and garden tools.
- Clean and properly store hand tools or lawn and garden tools in
their storage area.
- Mark hand tools or lawn and garden tools for identification.
- Read Bernoulli's Principle. Show how it works.
- Read Pascal's Law. Tell about some inventions that use
Show how it
- Read Newton's first law of motion. Show in
three different ways how inertia works.
And Do Six of These:
- Show the effects of atmospheric pressure.
- Show the effects of air pressure.
- Show the effects of water
pressure. This may be combined with atmospheric pressure or
with air pressure.
- Build and launch a model rocket with adult supervision.
(NOTE: You must be at least 10 years old to work with a model rocket kit
sold in hobby stores.)
what causes fog. Show how this works.
how crystals are formed. Make some.
Explain how you use your center of gravity to keep your
Show three different balancing tricks.
10. Show in
three different ways how your eyes work together.
11. Show what
is meant by an optical illusion.
12. Get a booklet on how to care for
the eyes. Read it.