RUDYARD KIPLING AWARD
Daniel Webster Council offers the Rudyard Kipling Award to promote Den achievements. This award is similar to the Baden-Powell Patrol Award in Boy Scouting.
The Rudyard Kipling Den Award is given out by the Council Advancement Committee of the Daniel Webster Council to qualifying dens in recognition of a Den's achievements in several areas. This award may be earned only 4 times in the Cub Scout's career, once during each rank (Wolf, Bear, Webelos1, and Webelos2).
All dens within the Daniel Webster Council are eligible to receive this award providing they complete 8 out of the 10 requirements (the first 5 being mandatory) from the requirement list. These requirements are to be completed within a 3 month period of time. The Den Leader should be filling in the form during this period of time.
After the Den has completed all of the requirements, the Den Leader needs to get the paperwork approved and signed by the Cubmaster and then mail it, along with the required money for the amount of patches and/or rockers needed, to your respective District Advancement Committee member. The Committee member will then need to approve the completed form and arrange the time and place for the presentation of the patches and banner.
Each successful den will receive a "Banner" or "Flag Streamer" that will be placed on their den flag at the time of the presentation. The den will earn a "Banner" every time they earn this award.
Each member of the den, along with the Den Chief and Den Leaders, will receive a "Rudyard Kipling Den Award Patch" and a "rocker" that will signify the Cub Scout Rank that the den is working on at the time. Please remember that this is a temporary patch.
The first time your den earns this award, they will receive the "Rudyard Kipling Den Award" round patch. (they will only need to get this patch once.) They will also receive the "Rocker" that goes along with the "Rank" that they are working on. Each time after they will receive just the respective "Rocker" unless an additional round patch needs to be purchased.
There is a different color "Rocker" for each "Rank" within the Cub Scouts. Each one also has a different character's name on it. These "Rockers" can be sewn onto the round patch and placed in the plastic patch protector or they can be sewn or placed on a Red Award Vest. They are as follows:
|RANK|| COLOR ||CHARACTER|
|Wolf ||Gold || Akela|
|Bear ||Blue || Baloo|
|Webelos1 ||Green || Shere Khan|
|Webelos2 || Red || Mowgli|
Rudyard Kipling Den Requirements
1 through 5 are mandatory; choose any 3 from 6 through 10:
1. SPIRIT - Have a den flag and rally around it. Use your den cheer or yell. Keep den records up to date for 3 months.
2. DEN MEETINGS - Hold 3 den meetings each month for 3 months.
3. GOOD TURNS - Conduct a Pack-approved service project within 3 months.
4. ADVANCEMENT - Have at least 50% of membership earn at least 2 beads each (Webelos earn 2 Activity pins each) within 3 months.
5. UNIFORM - Be uniformed correctly at each den and pack event. (Uniform as outlined by pack committee. i.e.... shirt, neckerchief, slide, and hat)
6. PACK PARTICIPATION - Participate in 2 pack meetings within 3 months. Participation includes leading the pack in a song, performing a skit, cheers, opening, or closing ceremony.
7. OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES - Hike or other outdoor activity within 3 months. (We encourage using Council facilities, such as Camp Carpenter, and/or attending Council / District functions).
8. MEMBERSHIP - Build den membership to 6 to 8 members.
9. TRAINING - Have a Basic-Trained Den Leader, with an Assistant Den Leader, and / or a Den Chief.
10. DENNER PROGRAM - Have an active Denner / Assistant Denner program.
Awarding of the Rudyard Kipling Award is based on successful completion of eight (8) of the ten (10) above listed requirements. The first five (5) are MANDATORY requirements.