Service, best exemplified by the daily Good Turn has
long been a tradition in Scouting. Good citizenship is best taught
by service in action.
To get the most Cub Scouting has to offer,
boys should have opportunities to take part in den and pack service
projects. This is one of the best ways to show boys that helping
other people is not only beneficial to others, but is fun and
rewarding for themselves. They will experience a warm feeling that
comes from giving to others.
- Contributions to one of the many organization,
which help, alleviate hunger and starvation around our community
or the world.
- Plan a trip to a nursing or convalescent home
around one of the Cub Scouts themes. Wear costumes, put on skits
or puppet shows, or provide some type of entertainment.
- Plan a service project to benefit your
chartering organization. Check to see what type of help is
needed, then get to work.
- Shut-in adults and children need excitement
added to their lives. Many times they receive special attention
during the holidays. Why not select some other time of the year
to make them feel special.
- Visit and put on a den skit, sing Cub Scout
songs or make gifts.
- Make tray favors for hospitals or nursing
- Collect games, books or puzzles to take to a
day care center.
- Make puppets and put on a show for a children's
- Collect and donate magazines to nursing homes
- Leaf raking party. Rake into one big pile roll
and jump in them and then put them in plastic bags or on a
- Run errands for sick or elderly persons, or
- Read to a smaller child.
- Pick up litter.
- Plant new trees.
No doubt you and your Cub Scouts will be able to
think of many more useful service projects. Most institutions have
restrictions, so be sure to clear your project with the person in
charge. This will eliminate duplicate efforts by other groups, and
will prevent embarrassment if some regulation is not
Materials found in Baloo's Bugle may be used by Scouters for Scouting activities provided that USSSP, Baloo's Bugle and the original contributors are cited as the source of the material.