- Tour an energy conservation home (underground
or energy efficient)
- Tour the local water company and ask for ways
to conserve water
- Make a list of fun activities of little cost
and do them over several Den Meetings.
- Switch chores with another family member for a
- Have the boys make their chart showing the jobs
that they and other family members have in their homes.
- Before the boys inspect the home and grounds to
make a list of hazards or lack of security you might want to
talk over some of the home hazards they might find.
- Have a contest--taking a small piece of cloth
and button, needle and thread. Have the boys sew on a
button--judge the button that is sewn on the best.
- Have a cooking contest. Have each boy cook one
dish and bring it to the meeting. Be sure they can tell you how
they made the dish.
Tacing family roots can become a life time hobby.
There are many books and classes on how to find information.
if any Den parents have organized charts or have studied their
Have the boys make a family tree for both their mother
and father's family from a list of all the members of their family.
What are their birthdays, dates of marriage and years of
How to Read Your Electric Meter
Electric meters are precision measuring devices
which record, in units called "kilowatt-hours how much
electricity you use. One kilowatt-hour (Kwh) is 1,000 watts of
electricity consumed for one hour, or the power required to burn a
100-watt light bulb for ten hours.
The meter reading is made up
of one number from each dial. When the pointer is between two
numbers, you read the number it has just passed-the lower
Find a Word for Fire
Heart of America Council
- If trapped in smoke; under the smoke to
- Gasoline can near a flame or heat.
- Electrical covers protect little children from
- A is used to put water on a fire.
- Treat a minor burn with cool
- Use the enclosed stairs marked "
" not the elevator, to escape from a burning
- Have a home fire now. It could save your life
- Learn not to .
- is NFPA'S Fire safety dog.
- If there is a fire, get out fast. Then the fire
- is a crime. It is a fire set on purpose that
- Unless trained to use a fire a person should
get out and call the fire department.
- Most fires in which people die happen in their
- A is an unsafe condition that exists in your
- A can warn you of a fire before you might
smell, hear, or see it.
- If you smell smoke, don't open the door. Feel
it to see if it's warm or .
- Fire fighters and paramedics respond to
- causes more panic; set a calm example.
- Make a home escape . Practice it twice a
- In case of fire, you must have two routes from
- A false may prevent fire fighters from getting
to a real fire.
- liquids catch fire easily.
- Sometimes fire fighters need to use an to break
through locked doors.
- A disconnects overloaded electrical
- If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop, and
- A hot liquid burn is a
||15. Smoke Detector|
Heart Of America
Feed the Baby
Divide group into teams. Each team is either the
"feeder" or the "baby". Neither team knows
before hand what the activity will be. The "babies" are
seated in a row, facing the "feeders" who stand in front
of the "babies". Each boy taking part is given a small cup
or bowl of applesauce, a plastic spoon, and is blindfolded. At the
signal, the "feeders" try to feed the applesauce to the
"babies". "Babies" may not use their hands to
guide the spoon to their mouths, buy may give the
"feeders" all kinds of advice and direction as to how to
reach their mouths. First pair to finish the applesauce wins points
for their team. They switch positions.
Who Are We?
Heart Of America
Ask boys to bring baby pictures and family pictures
to the next meeting. Hold the pictures up one at a time and try to
guess who it is. Bring in family vacation pictures and try to guess
where the family went. Take some den pictures and make up an album
of your Webelos family or take slides and play music while you are
Put a small amount of half-and-half or cream into a
jar and screw the lid on tightly. Boys shake jars, until butter is
formed. (Try this in advance to determine how long it will take.)
Boy who finished first is the winner. (You may want to add just a
pinch of salt to cream.)
Last Christmas, I got a breadmaker. It would
be great to have Webelos Scouts making buttrt so we could have
homemade bread and butter. . I would also take a tiny bit of honey
and let them add it to their freshly made butter. Crackers would be
another choice with the homemade butter.
If anyone does this activity, please let me know how
your Scouts enjoyed this. CMR1954@aol.com
WEBELOS GRADUATION AWARD
Mary Yorde, Pack 867, NCAC
This idea, sent to me may give you an idea for
creating a plaque that each boy can treasure for awhile as opposed
to a piece of paper that the parents will probably file away. This
idea was from a new den leader. She had a log cut julienne style
(diagonal to make it longer top to bottom) into enough slices to do
this for each of several boys. The center was cut out with a saw and
sanded. Felt was used for the backing and emblem. After graduation
all of the pins were added. The DL used her resources and did seven
or eight of these for under $10.