August Cub Scout Roundtable Issue
Volume 6, Issue 12
Toughen Up (Webelos Naturalist & Forester)
PRAYERS AND POEMS FOR SCOUTS
CNN reports a new virus has been recently discovered. One person can pass it on to millions as it is very contagious. The Center For Disease Control has reported this week that the virus spreads very rapidly from one person to the next. They have put a very interesting name on this virus. It is called smile
I May Never See Tomorrow
I may never see tomorrow
I cannot predict the future
I must use the moment wisely
I must exercise compassion
The unkind things I do today
I may not have another chance
To My Grown -Up Son
My hands were busy through the day
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
For life is short, the years rush past . . .
The picture books are put away,
My hands, once busy, now are still.
If you want my loyalty, interests, and best efforts remember that:
1. I need a sense of belonging, a feeling that I am honestly needed for my total self, not just for my hands, nor because I take orders well.
2. I need to have a sense of sharing in planning our objectives. My need will be satisfied only when I feel that my ideas have had a fair hearing.
3. I need to feel that the goals and objectives arrived at are within reach and that they make sense to me.
4. I need to feel that what I'm doing has a real purpose or contributes to human welfare - that its value extends even beyond my personal gain, or hours.
5. I need to share in making the rules, by which, together, we shall live and work, toward our goals.
6. I need to know in some clear detail just what is expected of me - not only my detailed task but where I have opportunity to make personal and final decisions.
7. I need to have some responsibilities that challenge, that are within range of my abilities and interest, and that contribute toward reaching my assigned goal, and that cover all goals.
8. I need to see that progress is being made toward the goals we have set.
9. I need to be kept informed. What I'm not up on, I may be down on. (Keeping me informed is one way to give me status as an individual).
10. I need to have confidence in my superiors - confidences based upon assurance of consistent fair treatment, or recognition when it is due, and trust that loyalty will bring increased security.
In brief, it really doesn't matter how much sense my part in this organization makes to you -- I must feel that the whole deal makes sense to me."
From: The Effective Management of Volunteer Programs, pg.55, by Marlene Wilson, Volunteer Management Assoc. Boulder CO 1976
Materials found in Baloo's Bugle may be used by Scouters for Scouting activities provided that USSSP, Baloo's Bugle and the original contributors are cited as the source of the material.
Materials found at the U. S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. Website ©1997-2002 may be reproduced and used locally by Scouting volunteers for training purposes consistent with the programs of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) or other Scouting and Guiding Organizations. No material found here may be used or reproduced for electronic redistribution or for commercial or other non-Scouting purposes without the express permission of the U. S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. (USSSP) or other copyright holders. USSSP is not affiliated with BSA and does not speak on behalf of BSA. Opinions expressed on these web pages are those of the web authors.
The U.S. Scouting Service Project is maintained by the Project Team. Please use our Suggestion Form to contact us. All holdings subject to this Disclaimer. The USSSP is Proud to be hosted by ACS Systems & Engineering, Inc.