- Do 1(a), (b), or (c)
- Complete the Boy Scout or Venturing Lifeguard requirements and hold a current certification. (Note: BSA Lifeguard certification lasts for three years from the time of certification.)
- Complete a 45-plus-hour emergency response course or an EMT Basic course.
- Earn the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training or Lifeguard Trainer certificate.
- Help build a crew or family first aid kit.
- Know how to use everything in the kit.
- Teach another person or group how to make and use a first aid kit.
Above information from Ranger Handbook (No. 33494), 2009 printing.